Thursday, June 28, 2007

Advertisers have NO Common Sense!

I saw the new Kang Tong advert last night... irritably catchy jingle, Chinese family opening the jar of chinese simmer sauces and tucking in to a delicious feast... hmmmmm. (I couldn't find the advert I am talking about on the Tube, but this one is a similar principle)

I had a thought when this came on.... similar to one I had with the Dolmio ad... you know, the one where the annoying "Italian" Muppet show type puppets cook their delicious bolognese from the simmer sauces. (Again can't find the originals, but these are the Scottish versions!)

My query is this.... Why would a chinese family use a jar of chinese sauce? Why would an Italian family use ready made bolognese sauce? These are families steeped in history and tradition, whose recipes would be handed down through the generations. The ancestors would turn in their graves if they knew that their decendants were stooping so low as to use convenience food, instead of putting the love and care into freshly grown ingredients as they did in years gone by..

These sauces are designed for people like me, who have no heritage in chinese or Italian cooking. Show people like me in these adverts please.... that would make much more sense to me!

No comments: