Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Room 101

This week writing TXT shorthand in e-mails and blogs is in Room 101.

Example here, taken from a blog. I have made it into a jpeg to protect the innocent. If you can't read it try here..

Text messaging and IM have a lot to answer for. I can accept that to prevent thumb RSI and also due to time and space constraints you would need to abbreviate words... but PLEASE don't do it in blogs, letters or e-mails to people. There is no need... and they are actually harder to read than "long-hand" ones..

Also people who speak in slang also write in slang! Aaaargh that drives me mad. For instance one of the cool things I have previously mentioned is the site Icanhascheezburger.com. Love the site.. love the cute kittys... HATE the captions... deliberately misspelt words... shortened sentences.. make me cringe!

If u rite me ltrs like this. plse do not xpect nice response. U may fink it luks gr8 but it drives me crayzee!

(p.s I may actually be guilty of this occasionally... but only when I am rushed. Do as I say not as I do tee hee..)
(p.p.s actually I am an old-school letter-writing girl... I have adopted the smileys ;) but I still think an ! says so much more than LOL.. cause the more !!!! you have the funnier you are!!!!!!!! oh, and lurve means so much more than just love... don't ya think?)

Things, people, places, situations etc you hate/loathe/dispise/don't like very much belong in Room 101. If you decide to do the same please comment or link as appropriate as I would love to hear yours too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea for a meme! You can find my post here.

~d said...

I am guilty. But, only to certain people. My cousin, my sisters and sometimes my (BFF). I, too, much prefer long-hand. Snail mail. And I will use the smiley face with sunglasses in my (texts) and I will use the smiley face with sunglasses in gmail chat. But I usually just put: (smile).

~d